Cider & Perry Production - Principles & Practice
A two-part course, with optional NACM certification*. Part one may be taken separately, with or without the certification. The class is typically held in conjunction with the Introduction to Cider Fruit Orchard Management workshop on a Saturday preceding or following the Cider course. The course is suitable for beginners, new businesses and existing producers (large & small-scale) alike. An additional registration fee of $145.00 is payable for those wishing to enter for the NACM Certification in Cider & Perry Appreciation. This additional fee includes a complimentary copy of the official textbook: Out of the Orchard – Into the Glass.
*NACM certification: Students may opt to receive a certificate in cider production from the National Association of Cider Makers, based in the UK. The NACM Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation is the only formal cider industry specific qualification available in the world. Certification can be a useful marketing and promotional tool for the aspiring cider professional. More information about the NABC can be found on their website: http://cideruk.com/nacm
Part 1: An Understanding of Cider & Perry:
Including extensive sensory analysis of cider & perry, this section aims to enable the participant to:
- Develop a broad appreciation of the main types and styles of cider and perry, along with an understanding of the cider industry;
- Gain an outline knowledge and unerstanding of the main principles and practices involved in making cider & perry;
- Explore ways in which to encourage the positive & responsible development of the industry & its products.
Part 2: Practical Production of Cider & Perry:
Including hands-on practical production and laboratory work, this part aims to provide:
- A thorough grounding in the main methods and processes of cider and perry production;
- A wealth of knowledge, insight and technical know-how, drawn from many years of practical experience;
- The skills, knowledge and understanding necessary for the production of quality cider and perry
Peter Mitchell-a highly qualified and internationally recognized expert in cider and perry making and tasting, leads the class. With over 30 years of practical experience, he is a professional trainer, a UK and USA cider competition judge and an award-winning producer in his own right.
- Full course (Part 1 & 2): $999 (includes Orchard Management: Cider Fruit Production class
- Full course with NACM certification*: $1,144
- Part 1 only: $395
- Part 1 with NACM certification*: $540
Class size is limited to 20 attendees. Lunch, beverages, snacks and course materials are included with all options.